Friday, July 20, 2012

The miracle of 'today'

Hey friends.

So here I am trying to be productive and do all our laundry that reeks of campfire from our recent family reunion.. Just as I was about to turn off the TV, a story on KSL Studio 5 came on and it almost had me in tears {lately I've been good at almost crying but not losing it when something is sad or inspiring}. The story was about a four-year-old boy named Cooper who was accidentally backed over by a car in his own driveway.



This post isn't meant to be about depressing and sad tragedies, but more about what I have been reminded of by them. Taylor and I were only gone for about a month visiting family. In that one month we heard of four different people who were tragically and unexpectedly killed in an accident of some sort. We didn't know any of them personally, but three out of the four were either relatives, friends, or siblings of people we know. Each time we heard the news I was reminded of the blessing that being alive is.

These were four people under the age of 45 who probably thought they'd live a long life.

These stories reminded me of and made me want to share about how grateful I am for the people and things that Heavenly Father gave me and continues to give me to have the most beautiful life. These stories also reminded me of how precious life really is. Something that I learned, that luckily I've been able to remember and try to practice daily, from my father's premature death almost five years ago is to be grateful for every single day that we live and for each day we have with our friends and loved ones.

Tomorrow is the five-year anniversary of my father's passing. I have absolutely no doubt that his passing was part of Heavenly Father's plan. I had heard a story once when I was young about two brothers who got in a big fight over something very little and went to bed mad at each other. The next morning one of the brothers didn't wake up. He had died in his sleep from some kind of brain problem {sorry that I don't remember exactly what or have the correct terminology}. Ever since then I tried to make it a habit to always tell my family I loved them when I went to bed or when we parted ways. The last time I saw my dad was five years ago as I said goodbye to him before the rest of my family was leaving somewhere. He gave me a hug and a kiss and told me he loved me. I don't know why, but I felt like I should just give him one more hug 'goodbye'...just in case. I am so grateful that I listened to that small voice and feeling because I can still distinctly remember my last works and hug to him here on Earth.

Life really is such a precious gift. Since my husband is from Hawaii, and I from Utah, people always ask if we're going to live there one day and tell me how awesome it is that my husband is from such an exotic place. It was then that I realized that it really doesn't matter to me where we end up, but more about who we're surrounded by---such as our loved ones and friends.

I recently read a book {if you know me well then I should explain that yes I did read and enjoy a book {for some reason I really have never been a big reader. I think I have too much A.D.D. to sit and read for too long. But I obviously love writing!}}. This book is called Heaven is Here. It's written by Stephanie Nielson, a plane-crash survivor and writer of the blog http://nieniedialogues.com/. I read this book right after I had experienced some extremely painful back problems, some of which I am still struggling with. At the time I was so focused on how hard my life was {embarrassing to say out loud, but who likes fake people right? ...Just being honest}. Anyway, I was unable to really do anything physical at all. As I read this book I realized that even though I couldn't do many things I loved or was used to doing at the time {my dancing career is basically over as far as I know now}, I still had so many other blessings in life. I'm not here to preach to anyone, but if you're looking for a good read, or if you're feeling down about life, you should read this book.




After reading this book, I was able to put my trial of back problems into perspective. Just like Stephanie, even though my body isn't perfect, I am alive. I have tried to keep this in mind any time I start complaining about things in my life that might not be perfect.

Each time I hear of the unexpected passing of someone I am again reminded of how grateful I am to be alive. I am so grateful for my husband Taylor. He makes me laugh and smile every day. I am grateful for my body, even in its imperfections. I am so grateful every morning that I wake up and realize that Heavenly Father has given me another day to live and make a difference in my life, and hopefully in the lives of others. Every day the fact that I am able to say the word 'today' I realize that 'today' is a miracle because it's another day that Heavenly Father has given me.


As I was writing this post I heard on the news of two more deaths on the news, and found out about one more death of a friend's father. It really is crazy how fast life can be taken, which is why 'today' is a miracle. And that's all.


***I mentioned at the beginning of this post about a little boy Cooper who was accidentally killed. Here is the beautiful video they showed on the news segment. Cooper's family is holding the annual 'Cooper's Run' next Saturday, July 28th. If you're interested, I saw the family talking about it and it really is a good cause. The money from registering for the 5k run goes toward a scholarship they have created in Cooper's name. They even said if you don't register but still want to go you can. They just want support. After the 5k they also have a 'fun run/walk' for kids, teens, adults, everyone! Click here for more information.


Have a beautiful 'today' everyone!














1 comment:

  1. Great post! I loved it....really put things into perspective. And I almost felt tears springing to my eyes. You're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete

Let's be honest, comments make everyone happy! So feel free to comment if you'd like! :)